Graduation FAQ's

First, read Graduation 101

What is the difference between Commencement and Graduation?

Graduation is the completion of all graduation requirements and official posting of a student's degree to his/her academic record.
Commencement is the ceremony in which students who are eligible to graduate, participate. Revelle College has one ceremony each year.

Note: Participation in the commencement ceremony DOES NOT constitute official graduation from the university.

How do I apply to graduate?

When are the filling periods?

If the requirements for your degree will be completed by the end of : Online DDA Filing Period:

Summer Session through end of finals week Fall Quarter


Week 1 Fall Quarter through end of finals week Winter Quarter


Week 1 Winter Quarter through end of finals week Spring Quarter


Week 1 Spring Quarter through end of finals week Summer Session

File early to avoid delays in graduation processing but no earlier than the dates shown above.

What if I don't know if I'm ready to graduate yet?

Do not submit the DDA just yet. Go to your major department and speak with the undergraduate coordinator, then see a Revelle counselor to check your progress on GEs.

What if I am taking my last classes at the community college?

Your graduation quarter is the quarter you complete your last course(s). For example, if you will take courses in the Summer (whether at UCSD or another institution), you are a Summer graduate. As a summer graduate, you may participate in the June Commencement ceremony.

What are the eligibility requirements for Latin Honors at graduation?

UC  San Diego Academic Senate has established this standard for award of college Honors at graduation: 

No more than 14 percent of the graduating seniors on campus shall be eligible for college Honors. Normally, no more than the top 2 percent shall be eligible for summa cum laude and no more than the next 4 percent for magna cum laude, although minor variations from year to year shall be permitted. The remaining 8 percent are eligible for cum laude. The ranking of students for eligibility for college Honors shall be based upon the grade point average. In addition, to be eligible for Honors, a student must receive letter grades for at least eighty quarter-units of course work at the University of California. Each college may award Honors at graduation only to those who are eligible to receive college Honors.

2016 - 2017 Eligibility 

Cum laude - 3.695 - 3.829 
Magna cum laude - 3.830 - 3.929
Summa cum laude - 3.930 - 4.000

How do I know when I've graduated?

When you have officially graduated from the university, evidence of degree completion will be listed on your Academic History (in TritonLink) and on your official final transcript. Your degree status will be listed as "Conferred" along with your official graduation date. You are not officially graduated from the university until your degree has been posted to your academic record.

When I'm filing my DDA, my minor is not showing because I either have not declared it or it is in process. What do I do?

When you come to the screen on that asks about your minor, click on the 'Submit' button and move on, even though the system says that you do not have a minor. If your minor is in process, check frequently to be sure it comes up on Tritonlink. If you do not see it in a reasonable amount of time, check with the department. If you have not submitted your minor yet, now is the time to do that. Contact Revelle Advising when your minor is posted so your DDA can be updated. If the minor does not appear in - it will still be a part of your degree as long as you submit the paperwork correctly.

Note: Minors Do Not appear on the diploma, but will be listed on the transcript.

How do I retract my DDA?

If after filing the DDA you find that you made a mistake OR you realize you are not able to complete your degree in the quarter you declared, message Revelle Advising through the Virtual Advising Center to request for your DDA to be retracted.

How long will it take for me to receive my diploma?

Processing of your degree requires approval from your major department(s) and Revelle College AFTER all grades have been posted to your record. Once both have approved your degree, it is sent to the Registrar for a final review. From that point, it will take the Registrar up to 90 days to post the degree to your record and mail the diploma, which is sent to the permanent address you have listed in TritonLink.