Information for Revelle students about general UCSD academic regulations and policies.
Your class level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) is determined by the total units you have completed. All Revelle students must complete a minimum of 184 units for graduation.
Class Levels by Units
Freshman: 0 - 44.9
Sophomore: 45 - 89.9
Junior: 90 - 134.9
Full-time undergraduate students must complete at least 36 units per academic year to meet the minimum progress requirement.
Revelle students may complete a maximum of 200 units. Students with engineering majors or approved double majors are allowed 240 units to complete their degrees.
- Units earned through AP/IB exams are not counted toward the maximum.
- Units earned through an EAP/OAP program are not counted toward the maximum.
- Transfer students: 60 of your total transfer units are counted toward the maximum.
- Freshman students: units earned through coursework completed prior to entering UCSD are not counted toward the maximum
Students who approach the maximum unit limitation will have an academic hold placed on their account and must submit an appeal to continue enrollment.
Students may repeat courses in which a D, F, or NP grade is received. D and F grades are excluded from a student's GPA calculation once the course is repeated, up to a maximum of 16 units. However, all grades will remain on the transcript.
Students may not repeat courses completed with a C- or higher. Courses in which a D or F grade is earned may not be repeated on a P/NP basis. Courses in which a NP is earned may be repeated on a letter grade basis.
Please keep in mind that graduate programs and other institutions may recalculate students' GPAs to reflect all assigned grades.
Students may request information about their class rank by contacting the Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The email must include student name, PID, and desired ranking type:
- By major
- By level (juniors and seniors only)
- By college and level (juniors and seniors only)