Revelle Honors Program
Weekly seminar discussion with a faculty member, selected by the Provost. The seminar acquaints eligible incoming freshman students with a variety of faculty to learn about their research and about academic enrichment and undergraduate research opportunities.
Criteria for Eligibility
- High School GPA of 3.8 or higher and
- SAT scores of 700 or higher on Reading, on Writing, and on Math
By invitation only
Pass/Not Pass grades only (F,W,S)
Students who meet these criteria are invited to register for Revelle 20, an informal weekly seminar. The Freshman Honors Program Seminar is noted on the transcript, even though it is a zero unit course.
If you are not invited for your incoming fall quarter as a freshman, you may be invited once grades are posted, to the winter quarter seminar as long as you maintain a 3.7 GPA in at least 12 graded units in fall quarter. For spring quarter enrollment, a cumulative 3.7 GPA in at least 24 graded units in winter quarter is needed. Meet fellow honors freshman and take advantage of these benefits:
- Welcome Reception: Start the year right meeting faculty, staff, new honor students, and students from the previous year's honors program. Make valuable connections.
- Extra Advising: Meet with the Provost, Revelle College Academic Counselors, or your department advisors. Letters of recommendation for jobs or Internships are available from the Provost. Learn about special summer opportunities.
- Social Program: Engage in special events such as plays, concerts, seminars, and tours (e.g., Super Computer facility, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, CALIT2, The Old Globe…). All events are free!
The Revelle Freshman Honors program is in addition to any scholarship you may have received, and it is meant to support the excellent education you will receive at Revelle College and UC San Diego.
- Triton Day: Attend Triton Day for a college session, a tour of the residence halls, and department presentations.
- Information Sessions: Information Sessions TBA through the Admissions Office
- Contact: Revelle prides itself on individual attention to students; if you have questions please call the Revelle College Provost's Office at (858) 534-1571 or e-mail email@example.com.
Each quarter, students who achieve Provost's Honors (3.5 GPA or higher in at least twelve graded units per quarter) will receive Provost Honors for the quarter and your achievement will be posted to the transcript. Upon achieving Provost Honors for all three quarters in the same academic year, a special recognition certificate will be mailed to the permanent address listed. The college also sponsors an annual student/faculty honors event to recognize the top 200 students in the college. Capstone Senior Honors Seminars are also available.
Qualified students graduate with a degree awarded with distinction, with high distinction, or with highest distinction. Each department
may honor up to twenty percent of graduating seniors who have completed a special course of study within that department. This may entail an honors research project or paper in addition to specific course work.
Qualified students graduate with a degree awarded cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude. Campus policy
allows a maximum of fourteen percent of the graduating seniors to be so honored.
The UCSD chapter of Phi Beta Kappa
elects student members on the basis of high scholastic achievement in academic programs emphasizing the liberal arts and sciences. Phi Beta Kappa was founded in 1776 at the College of William and Mary in Virginia and is the oldest, most prestigious, academic honor society in America. The curriculum of Revelle College ensures that all graduates have met the liberal arts course requirements, and selection is therefore expected for those meeting the minimum GPA requirement of 3.65.