Revelle Honors Program
Energized by Revelle's rigorous general education curricullum, over 750 students achieved Revelle College Honors Program requirements in 2014-15 (three quarters attaining a 3.5 or greater GPA and at least 12 graded units each quarter).
Weekly seminar discussion with a faculty member, selected by the Provost. The seminar acquaints eligible incoming freshman students with a variety of faculty to learn about their research and about academic enrichment and undergraduate research opportunities.
Criteria for Eligibility
- High School GPA of 3.8 or higher and
- SAT scores of 700 or higher on Reading, on Writing, and on Math
By invitation only
Pass/Not Pass grades only (F,W,S)
Students who meet these criteria are invited to enroll in Revelle 20, an informal weekly seminar. The Freshman Honors Program Seminar is noted on the transcript, even though it is a zero unit course.
If you are not invited for your incoming fall quarter as a freshman, you may be invited once grades are posted, to the winter quarter seminar as long as you maintain a 3.7 GPA in at least 12 graded units in fall quarter. For spring quarter enrollment, eligible students will have a cumulative 3.7 GPA and at least 24 graded units. Meet fellow honors freshman and take advantage of these benefits:
- Welcome Reception: Start the year right meeting faculty, staff, new honor students, and students from the previous year's honors program. Make valuable connections.
- Extra Advising: Meet with the Provost, Revelle College Academic Counselors, or your department advisors. Letters of recommendation for jobs or Internships are available from the Provost. Learn about special summer opportunities.
- Social Program: Engage in special events such as plays, concerts, seminars, and tours (e.g., Super Computer facility, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, CALIT2, The Old Globe…). All events are free!
The Revelle Freshman Honors program is meant to support the excellent education you will receive at Revelle College and UC San Diego.
- Triton Day: Attend Triton Day for a college session, a tour of the residence halls, and department presentations.
- Information Sessions: Information Sessions TBA through the Admissions Office
- Contact: Revelle prides itself on individual attention to students; if you have questions please call the Revelle College Provost's Office at (858) 534-1571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each quarter, students who achieve Provost's Honors (3.5 GPA or higher in at least twelve graded units per quarter) will receive Provost Honors for the quarter and your achievement will be posted to the transcript. Upon achieving Provost Honors for all three quarters in the same academic year, a special recognition certificate will be mailed to the permanent address listed. The college also sponsors an annual student/faculty honors event to recognize the top 200 students in the college. Capstone Senior Honors Seminars are also available.
UC San Diego Academic Senate has established this standard for award of University Honors at graduation:
No more than 14 percent of the graduating seniors on campus shall be eligible for college Honors. Normally, no more than the top 2 percent shall be eligible for summa cum laude and no more than the next 4 percent for magna cum laude, although minor variations from year to year shall be permitted. The remaining 8 percent are eligible for cum laude. The ranking of students for eligibility for college Honors shall be based upon the grade point average. In addition, to be eligible for Honors, a student must receive letter grades for at least eighty quarter-units of course work at the University of California. Each college may award Honors at graduation only to those who are eligible to receive college Honors.
2015 - 2016 Eligibility
Cum laude - 3.667 - 3.818
Magna cum laude - 3.319 - 3.924
Summa cum laude - 3.925 - 4.000